Friday, July 9, 2010

History in Advertising

Historical Memory in Popular Culture?


Release the pigeon!

Just over the course of the past few days, I have seen some pretty hilarious TV commercials where the creators have utilized historical events as a sales pitch. The first, from Men's Warehouse, and the second about the Dodge Challenger, comically embellish the "tough guy" mantra through scenes of World War I and the American Revolution. I'm sure many of you have seen the Civil War eBay commercial. The final video from Geico pokes fun at the notion of a completely Honest Abe. I think these are a uniquely entertaining way of promoting history. The best part: all of these commercials do a better job with historical apparel and tactics than The History Channel's America: The Story of Us. I don't know whether to laugh or cry about that...


Cars and Freedom...


It's the wrong century!


The founders take a cool one.


Perhaps just a little...



No comments:

Post a Comment